- The 10,000 Words blog (you know I love this blog) offers 10 Ugly Truths About Journalism. My two favorites? Journalists are biased and no one has all the answers. On a side note, please vote for this blog in Mashable's 2009 Open Web Awards' "Best Site for Journalists" category.
- As many journalists mull the decision to stay or start a new career, this new poll from Monster.com finds that most job seekers are open to career changes.
- The PaidContent.org blog posts about a topic I've covered regularly here: hyperlocal news blog start-ups. This post follows the trials of Justin Carder of Instivate, maker of the free Neighborlogs publishing system for local news sites, and founder and owner of the Seattle neighborhood blog CapitolHillSeattle.com.
- And speaking of start-ups, the Washington Post's Howard Kurtz takes a look at others out there, including VoiceofSanDiego.org, Baltimore Brew and Chitown Daily News.
- I recently saw a post on one of my journalism listserve asking whether someone should write for free. A post on the Editor Unleashed blog offers 5 questions to ask before you make that decision.
- And I'll finish this post with 5 Things to do before submitting a magazine article, from the Urban Muse blog.
Friday, October 30, 2009
Friday New Media News Roundup
It's Friday, so it's time for the news roundup. Here are my picks for the week.