Wednesday, August 12, 2009

National Geographic Hires Social Media VP

Back in May, the New York Times named Jennifer Preston as its first social media editor. Now, National Geographic has named Robert Murray as its first vice president of social media, reports PaidContent.org.

These appointments pleased me because it shows that companies are seeing the benefits of social media as a way to help plump up the bottom line. I have incorporated various tools -- blogging, Twitter, Facebook and Flickr -- to help promote my work at my current company. I am a journalist, not an accountant, so I can't quantify how what I do adds to the bottom line. But I feel like it does because I am spreading my company's brand way beyond its normal customer base.

And my company has created a council among its business units -- I am a member -- to explore how we can use these tools to make us more productive -- and, of course, make money. It will be interesting to see what my company and other media companies continue to do to make that balance work.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, extending yourself as well as your company through social media is a wise investment with intangible and tangible dividends. Just being willing to explore the virtual terrain shows that you are a self-starter, learner and asset to the team. Hopefully, our employer realizes this, or like so many innovative entrepreneurs, you'll go off on your own and the money will follow. Profits follow passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have incorporated various tools -- blogging, instagram followers for sale Twitter, Facebook and Flickr -- to help promote my work at my current company. I am a journalist, not an accountant,

    ReplyDelete